Saturday, January 31, 2009

Parents now vs. parents then

I was a high school athlete in the late 1970s. Back when parents didn’t attended every sporting event their kids were in. (That's me high-jumping in 1978. Notice, no parents in sight.) I grew up 3 blocks from the high school and walked to and from every game and practice. No parents required. My parents attended 1 or 2 games/meets/matches per season. I don’t ever remember them setting foot at a practice. They never talked to my coaches. My folks were busy people and times were different. Hardly any other parents showed up for stuff either. When my mom or dad came, I noticed. I’d have one eye on the game and the other on them, trying to gauge their reaction. Often they’d leave after seeing just a portion of things. That night, we’d talk about the outcome. They cared, but from a distance. They were parent-observers.

Speed forward 30 years.

These days, parents attend every game, meet or match their kids are in, from pre-school tumbling up through varsity hockey. Parents attend practices. Parents coach. Parents offer coaching ‘advice’ from the stands as well as via email and phone. [I bet the real coaches just love that.] These days, a kid’s muscle seldom flexes without the watchful eyes of parents upon them. What’s happened to us? Why are we so involved? Do kids enjoy our attentiveness or does it get on their nerves? I don’t know, but I plan to ask them. Watch for future posts. After I interview a bunch of high school athletes, I’ll report back about what they think. In the meantime, parents, feel free to post what you think.

1 comment:

Pam Young said...

I too grew up on the late 1970's. I played volleyball and softball for Tartan High School. However, my parents were at almost every game. When I would play volleyball my father would get so nervous he would walk the halls and have a smoke. (Yes you could smoke inside back then.) When we went to state in softball in 1978, my parents and others from our team were written about in our local paper because of their dedication. There were no booster clubs back then.
My parents have long since passed away. However, I feel them present at all of our kids events. I want to thank all of the grandparents who attend the events and who have adopted me and my kids as their own. I love them very much and love seeing them at every game.