Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Game day rituals, part 2


It’s pretty easy to understand why athletes have game day rituals, but it cracks me up that parents and fans have game day rituals, too. Here are some fan behaviors recently observed:
  • Closing eyes tightly during the team's free throws
  • Moving to a new place in the stands if opposing team takes the lead
  • Wearing a lucky shirt
  • Wearing lucky underwear (I haven’t actually observed this one, which is probably good)
  • Leaving the gym altogether and wandering the halls during a very close game
  • Screaming like a crazy person at the referees (OK, that’s not a ritual, it’s just a bad habit)
Can fans (or their lucky underwear) affect the outcome of a game? I firmly in the camp of "no." Even if you agree, do you have game day rituals you secretly practice, anyway?

1 comment:

Rich said...

I believe that I could jinx the outcome by talking about it ahead of time.
P.S. I hate when my wife talks about my lucky underwear.